Tuesday 21 July 2015

Day 2 and 3 - Porlock - Lynmouth

So, a night of horrendous cramps and little sleep, but waking to a bright day, raring to go.
The first part of the day took me over Porlock marshes where I saw a lady picking something. 'Sea samphire for me dinner' she informed me. Thinking I could go some of that for me dinner too I duly bent to pick a handful... Not recommended with half a continent on your back :-P ....but well worth it mmm.
 

So onwards and upwards eh and more up then on as the path rose into the dark wooded cliffs, with often only glimpses of the sea. Up and down the combes and round by Culbone church and into the woods again...
 

A line of bedraggled teenage boys comes clodhopping up the trail...'how far to the church?' ...pleading faces stared with exhaustion. ' Oh not far at all - half a mile or more'  I say to a muttered chorus of the duke of Edinburgh can just get stuffed...
Can't be that bad can it?
More rain, more up and downs and it's getting late. 8.30 and I realize am not going to get off the cliff tonight as the mist rolls in...ooer.
So find a flat bit...not as easy as it sounds on a cliff!  But you help and a relatively safe space behind a bush is secured and the tent goes up finally.
A fitful sleep, but strangely unworried and awake to dry and still.  So up and off early and soon onto grassy, cliffy stuff. Yay. But took one wrong turn and nearly ended up at the lighthouse! Doubled back to find big uphills and just getting near a very windy top and.... woah down comes the fog!Can't see hand in front of face let alone a now grassy path!
I can hear sheep baaing so head towards that and hunker down in a ditch out of the wind til it clears a bit. Scary stuff.
Soon on our way though and what joy and relief to see Lynmouth over the hill!
 

Got sunnier the nearer I got and soon was down on the front with a well earned pint!


Good job coz the campsite was a mile up another steep hill...!

No comments:

Post a Comment